July 19, 2006

Excerpt from the Domain Name Marketplace Workshop

"... there are trademark owners who have taken the proposition that talking about domain risk, ICANN monitor -- ICANN register 50,000 domain names, and I don't know what they are doing for me. Or I can take the same amount of money and put it into PPC advertising with my trademark and that will automatically guarantee that those sites that are variations of my trademark will link to me, because the ultimate result is getting my customers to come to me. And one can use the typo-squatters as a method of outsourcing domain registration cost and legal cost if what you are interested in is having your customers associate your product with their Web site. And there are trademark owners who have made that decision." [from Philadelphia lawyer John Berryhill, in full transcript of the June 27, 2006 workshop]

No comments: